Sunday, January 6, 2019

Don't Look Now (1973)

Don't Look Now (1973)

Directed by Nicolas Roeg 
Based off a Short Story by Daphne du Maurier
"Not After Midnight"
Cast: Donald Sutherland, Julie Christie, Hillary Mason, Clelia Matania
Music by Pino Donaggio



Opening Thoughts: Don't Look Now is a film I have known about for a long time. I would pass by the film in the horror section of the video rental stores and places like Borders to buy from. To be honest the theatrical poster and video cover said boring not for me. Yes poster art and video art can be the difference between me seeing a film or not. The rerelease poster is breathtaking and would have got me to pick up the film.

My thoughts on trying this film changed after a BS Movies Podcast on best male sex icons Shelly Grant selected this film. Apparently people are obsessed with one scene in this film. Why? Either way she elegantly described the film to the point I put the film on my try out list. That changed a few months back when Nicolas Roeg who arguably filmed the most beautiful film ever made with Walkabout passed away. I wanted to have a Roeg marathon, but the issue was my Roeg collection was rather small 3 films is not enough for marathon.

So I added a few films to watch that weekend and I wanted to see if Shelly was right. I meant to do this review sooner, but felt a repeat viewing was necessary like I missed something.

Besides who can go wrong with a story by Daphne du Maurier. The lady who gave us Rebecca, The Birds, and Jamaica Inn. As you can tell Hitchcock loved her.



Plot: John Baxter, Donald Sutherland, is an architect that specializes in restoring old buildings. Baxter has been selected to restore a church in Venice, Italy. While looking through slides for research on the church, John has a vision that his daughter Christine is drowning. John rushes to save her, but it is too late Christine has died.

John decides the best way to get over the grief of the death of a child is to get out of the house and bury himself in his work onsite in Venice, Italy. John's wife Laura, Julie Christie, decides to join John as a vacation from the house. Laura needs this time away as she has struggled with her Daughter's death the most. She is currently taking medications for depression.

Upon arrival in Venice, Italy the Baxter's decide to eat at restaurant in which Laura bumps into two sisters one who is a blind clairvoyant named Heather. The blind lady upon accidentally touching Laura has a vision saying her daughter says it is alright she is doing great.

Laura eventually passes out from the incident and is taken back to her hotel room, but she is somehow different now like she is ok with her Daughter's death and happy to know she is ok. John finds this behavior weird and can't understand how Laura is suddenly ok. One thing is for sure Laura wants to see the two ladies again.

John thinks it is some kind of scam and doesn't want her to see them again. John however is so busy in his work that he is on the verge of a breakdown in which being next to water is not helping him. Not to mention there is a serial killer on the loose now.

John has to make the decision to stay in Venice and risk losing his sanity altogether or return home and drop the current project he is on altogether. Will he go insane or not?


Review: Ok let's get the lion out of the bag I am not sure why everybody is so obsessed with this sex scene. I get the point this is the first time since her daughter's death she felt herself again, but I have seen better from the master Jean Rollin that leaves you in a state of awe. It's just a sex scene big deal.

What people should be obsessed about with this film is Roeg's mastery of the camera. There are just gorgeous scenes all throughout this film with colors, backgrounds, and more that just make you forget your watching a film. Whether it be the drowning sequence in the water, chase scenes through Venice at night, or simply the boat rides in Venice you are there in person feeling everything. Roeg is the master of that and whether the story is good ot not just doesn't matter when it comes to a Roeg film.

That said I think everytime I will view this film I may have a different understanding of what this film is about. Ultimately the film is about how parents deal with the death of a child with a horror aspect thrown into the film. All that said I really think the serial killer aspect of this film is a bit lacking and could of used more development.

The main cast do their best to acknowledge the fear of the serial killer, but even the great performances by Sutherland and Christie don't make me fear the killer. What they both accomplish well is making me feel their pain throughout the film.

Then we move onto Donaggio's score a very classical sound at times that seems to borrow elements of Nadia's theme.


Closing thoughts: Don't Look Now despite some flaws is probably now my favorite Roeg film. The film in many ways plays out like an Italian Giallo filmed by Dario Argento. Set in great locations, with a fantastic cast that doesn't disappoints, and colors that make your jaw drop.

I can't praise this film enough, but even with that said the lacking area for me was the serial killer and myself wanting more focus on that. I give the film 8 out of 10.


Notes: For this viewing I used the 2015 Criterion release which was a 4K restoration. That said while the feel of the film was right there were a few instances in there of the car jumping out of place that was definitely not the film itself, but an issue on Criterion's end. I also think the film could of used a slight grain reduction to compensate for 4KTVs over accentuating the grain. I give the video 4 out of 5 as a result.

No comments:

Post a Comment