Thursday, January 10, 2019

The Art of Collecting Film Memorabilia

The Art of Collecting Film Memorabilia 


When it comes to film we all have our favorite films and like to connect with them in our own ways. For some people owning the film on a home media format is enough, but for others we like to show our love of our favorite films in other ways. One of the more popular ways is by collecting film related memorabilia and collectibles.

For me personally I like collecting original theatrical film posters, vinyl soundtracks, and sometimes bookson my favorite directors an actors. For others I know, like my friend Laura she has a passion for collectible pins, postcards, and etc. There is no real wrong way of collecting film memorabilia as long as you are having fun collecting and don't let others get in the way of your fun.


It's not my place or other people's places to tell you how to collect. It's my place to advise you if you come to me asking for information to assist you on purchasing the right item of you are overwhelmed and confused and display options if you come to me in that area. Anyone who discourages you, makes fun of what you like to collect, or tries to get you to collect what they like shame on them. You are your own cup of tea, be your own flavor.

Like the picture above is a commission I had Mickey Chaney Jr. Draw an original sketch of Julie Newmar for me because she is my favorite Catwoman. I later took that commission that jad my input to Julie Newmar and she signed it for me. Nothing can replace the enjoyment I had when Julie was fooled by the cover flipping through the comic to find herself  only to be told it was a blank cover that a person drew an image of her on and watch her start laughing it was an experience that can't be replaced. That to me is all what collecting is about the experience.


The experience starts from the time you decide you want to get an item related to that film/tv show in some way for yourself.  You could end up with a great experience in the end or you could end up being disappointed in the experience trying to get the item you want or the desired end product to be. You could find out that you bought more than you can chew off. That is where I would like to advise people today.


One of the things people like to do to put themselves closer to a film is get the film's cast to sign off on an item. For myself, I like original theatrical posters and vinyl records because to me they make great display items. While others would like to go with something  smaller like a pop vinyl or statue that can take up less space there is no right or wrong answer. It's whatever is going to give you the most pleasure of displaying.



So there are questions you should be asking yourself ahead of time. 

1. What item is going to give you that wow factor?

Come up with a few different ideas. Maybe it's a Captain America shield. Maybe you want that shield signed by the Avengers cast. Maybe you want an original theatrical poster of Breakfast at Tiffany's. Reason why I say a few is because you might not be able to afford or find the item because of rarity. One poster in my collection is now valued at over 6,000 dollars and that is what a Tiffany's 

2. Do I want to get the cast of a film to sign the item?

Now this is a tricky subject I will tread lightly. You should do your research to find out who is still alive from the cast. Does it make sense to start a brand new cast signed Star Wars project from scratch? Kenny Baker (R2D2) and Carrie Fisher (Princess Leia) have passed away in the recent years and David Prowse (Darth Vader) announced his retirement from signing because of dementia. Then there is Harrison Ford great actor, but man he has never until this year allowed a send in opportunity to where he would sign previous cast stuff until this year a one opportunity that may never happen again. 1500 a signature for Ford.

I'm not saying don't start a Star Wars project, but you may end up buying a partially cast signed one with Beckett or PSA/DNA to accomplish your mission of getting a full cast sign one. The newer the film the more likely you can get a full cast or close to full cast signed item.


3. What is your budget? Set yourself a budget for the memorabilia piece that you want to get. I may love a certain poster or item, but the overall money cost from beginning to end may not be feesible from acquiring to showcasing. The British Quad of Nightmare on Elm Street is highly collectible and outside of alot of people's ranges especially if you add in framing that can cost up to another 400 to 500 in expenses. Are you happy with all one lot in basket if that was your entire collectibles budget for the year? There is nothing wrong with that, but you may get more enjoyment getting more pieces than just the one. You know yourself go with your gut.


4. How much space do you have available in your apartment to display an item?
Just remember you are limited to space you have available. I live in a one bedroom apartment and very limited space available. So this 3 Sheet Dr. Who & The Daleks poster measures in frame and all around 44" w x 84" H, the poster os a showstopper and I love it. Yet this same poster can't go into the closet on a rotating schedule like my other items so you may only be able to have a few spotlight pieces. My suggestion choose wisely. There is nothing wrong with a rotating schedule of items on display it keeps things fresh. Just as a collector myself I have more than I can handle and am not stopping.



The number 1 rule is just have fun!!!!!

Don't let one bad experience ruin your fun!!!!

Share with me your Thoughts, questions, and comments. I would love to hear what you collect and see pictures. I can answer most questions on posters markings and more for authentication.

No comments:

Post a Comment